A golf course superintendent is entrusted with the development and maintenance of the golf course to ensure an excellent standard of play. The position is responsible for the construction and maintenance of all areas of a golf course including the maintenance buildings and equipment repair shop.
- A degree in agronomy/horticulture/soil sciences is desired or equivalent knowledge.
- Experience in all phases of golf course management and turf culture.
- Certified and/or licensed in pesticide usage.
- Participating knowledge of the game of golf.
Thorough Knowledge of:
- The construction, establishment and maintenance practices employed on the golf course.
- Planting and culture of turf grasses used on golf course.
- The planting, cultivating and pruning of ornamental plants, scrubs and trees.
- The characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners.
- Pest control methods and materials.
- Drainage control methods and watering and irrigation systems including wells, pumps and automatic controls.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance of the maintenance facility, shelters, fences, bridges, golf car paths, service roads, parking lots, ponds and streams.